The final idea after trying multiple backgrounds. The character started looking like a pirate lady, so I went with that idea. I was starting to get annoyed by the befuddled crossed-eye look the character had, and actually adding a pirate eye patch seemed like a good solution to change the primary focus. Adding the parrot just made the pose and facial expression more appropriate. After getting everything drawn in, I went through a ton of different editing and blending options to get the picture to fit more together.
Decided that just a character was boring and started playing around with the composition of the character versus the background.
This was the original end goal, but I decided I just didn't like it, for one, partly because of the wonky anatomy.
Wasn't sure what I was working on yet and I was just drawing a super curvy character with crazy fluffy hair. The document I was working on was just a large canvas that I had other sketches on. Here I was trying to come up with an idea for the theme and background, beyond just the character.
This is what I started with. The middle flats gave me the idea to go forward with this drawing, otherwise, I would have just left it was the sketch.